SAFETY MEASURES

  • Make sure all wires, cords and plugs on your appliances are not frayed and that the plugs have 3-prong grounded connections. This would include Chimneys, Cooking Ranges, Hobs, Ovens, Microwaves, Dishwashers and Wine Chillers etc.
  • Don’t use extension cords. You can obtain a junction box that has built-in GFI (ground fault interrupters). This will allow you extra plug in space and the GFI will kick in if there is a power shortage. Helps avoid water/electrical shock accidents.
  • Get rid of any appliance that is broken or damaged. New ones are very inexpensive these days (just make sure you’re not buying somebody else’s broken appliance).
  • Put a childproof lock on all the appliances you have with the option available.
  • Don’t leave the kitchen with pots & pans cooking on the stove. Make sure to turn off burners as soon as you take the pot off. Never ever, ever leave cooking foods unattended – not even for a minute.
  • Avoid wearing clothes inappropriate for cooking. That means loose silk clothing, loose sleeves and sweaters etc. Never cook in loose clothes and keep long hair tied back.
  • Keep dish towels, pot holders and oven mitts away from the stove / burner.
  • Keep matches and lighters in high places where curious little hands can’t reach them.
  • Check furniture, curtains, dish towels, etc. to be sure they are not blocking heaters or vents.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher in or near the kitchen, but not near the stove or the heater.
  • In case of a grease fire, salt and/or baking soda will help if you do not have a fire extinguisher.
  • Keep emergency numbers handy or basic emergency numbers are easy to remember. e.g. 100, 101, 102 etc.
  • Scalding is one of the most common injuries in the kitchen. Make sure to turn pot handles away from the front of the stove and away from little curious hands.
  • Scalding can occur from hot steam as well. Be careful when lifting lids from hot food (including opening that hot bag of microwave popcorn)!
  • Be sure appliances are unplugged before touching sharp edges.
  • CasStore the Cleaning Supplies and all Chemicals in a safe place.
  • Store the Cleaning Supplies and all Chemicals in a safe place.
  • Wipe up spills immediately. Keep the floor dry so that no one slips, falls or gets electric shock while operating appliances.
  • Don’t leave electrical appliances like dishwashers, microwave, oven etc. running unattended.